Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Boycott these beers! Local distributor up to no good!

Now for some bullsh*t: Chicago Beverage Systems (CBS) is a local distributor. And they have been up to no good. We're talking actions that disrupt the free market and take CHOICE away from the beer drinkers of Chicagoland. Pretty dirty tactics, possibly illegal tactics. This is not rare, but some things have surfaced recently and I do not agree.


What's wrong?
  • Monetary incentives to "steal" tap handles from other distributors (rumored $200 "reward" to their reps)
  • Contracts with local businesses to only serve CBS beers (with the Wit hotel including their rooftop lounge Roof and the ground floor restaurant State & Lake)
This is so bogus and when I'm out at the bar or in the store, I am personally choosing to boycott the CBS brands. Money talks in this business (obviously) and I refuse to support such disgusting business practices.


If you'd like to join me, please take note of the following CBS brands which include Miller-Coors products and several imports: Affligem, Amstel, Bohemia, Corona, Dos Equis, Fosters, Grolsch, Guinness, Hacker-Pschorr, Half Acre (see below), Hamm's, Harp, Harpoon, Heineken, Icehouse, Keystone, Killian's, Labatt, Leinies, Magic Hat, Magners, Mickeys, Modelo, Molson, New Belgium, Newcastle, Pacifico, Paulaner, Peak Organic, Peroni, Pilsner Urquell, Red Stripe, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Smithwicks, Sol, Spaten, St Pauli Girl, Strongbow, Tecate, Woodchuck, etc. (complete list here)

Of course, I will support Half Acre by cutting out the middleman and stopping by their taproom in North Center. 


If you respect the craft beer community and the distributors that DO say no to pay-to-play, I hope you'll help me in spreading the word!

(Note: I am not a rumor-spreader and I don't associate with such people, I would not go to the trouble of posting this had it not been confirmed. Of course, I welcome an open dialogue here too!)

4 comments:

Tracy Hurst said...

I feel bad when I see Half Acre on the list. Not only are they friends of ours, but they also make some excellent beer. See Gossamer and Daisy Cutter. Also, they know how to throw one helluva party.

From now on, I'll head straight over to their brewery to buy their most excellent beers!

Anhalt said...

Totally, Minion. Thanks for reminding me. I amended the post to reflect that. Gotta support our local brewers!

Tracy Hurst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy Hurst said...

UPDATE: The VP of sales for CBS just dropped by the brewery today. Really nice guy. He claims that the $200 incentive is *not* happening. I pointed out that we got our info from one of their reps. They can take it from there.

As for getting accounts to work with them exclusively, the best way to recognize this is to sit at the bar and see what options you have. Best case (and legal) scenario is that you have choices from all the distributors. Check the web for portfolio info: http://www.chicagobeveragesystems.org/brands.html, http://www.glunzbeers.com/Site/PortfolioOfBeer.aspx?id=1&hd=1, http://www.windycitydistribution.com/. There are more, but these are the main players in Chicagoland.

Ultimately, the accounts (bars, restaurants, etc.) will listen to *you*, dear drinker. Voice your opinions about which beers you want... and that you want them ALL.