Monday, May 17, 2010

Chicago Craft Beer Week with Metropolitan Brewing

Hello and welcome to the first annual Chicago Craft Beer Week! *cheers* You will find events all over the city (and suburbs) celebrating the finer things in life like delicious beer, food paired with delicious beer and other beery things that are beyond your wildest dreams (that last bit is open to interpretation).

Now many events eature beer that isn't even from the Midwest and I'm the type of douchebag who thinks we should support local independently-owned businesses. So I hope you hit the pavement and make an effort to go out and show some love to Flossmoor, Two Brothers, Half Acre, Revolution, Piece and the rest. There is so much fresh beer to be had it makes my head spin!

But being Craft Beer's Obsequious Minion #3, I'll be at all the Metropolitan events with Doug & Tracy (Minions #1 & #2, they can fight over who's #1). So come one, come all! Here's the lowdown on all our free events:

  • Tonight: 
  • Tuesday:  
    • Long production day, we didn't schedule anything. My night "off" from CCBW will be spent in Logan Square for our weekly "Treme Tuesday." My friend Mo is experimenting with Cajun dishes and has yet to disappoint!
    • Other top picks: Spring Beer-B-Que at Flossmoor sounds really good! As does the Symposium Ale Beer dinner at Marion Street Cheese Market. And it'd cool to check out the Rock Bottom open House and say hello to their new award-winning brewer Chris Rafferty, who was previously at RB in Arlington, VA.
  • Wednesday:  
    • Tapping an IPL at Fizz at 3220 N Lincoln, 8pm. The main event: uber-small batch using German Hallertau hops for all three hop additions. And Fizz is offering $4 Metro bottles so no excuse to drink piss water MillerBud products, okay?
    • Other top picks: You can't go wrong with the Rare Chicago Beer Night at SmallBar Fullerton (presented by Beermapping.com and HopCast), I mean this is Chicago Craft Beer Week, is it not? 
  • Thursday:
    • Neighbor Night! Metropolitan & Half Acre Firkin Tapping at The Fountainhead (Montrose/Damen), 8pm. We'll be offering a ginger-infused alt. The really exciting part is that this could be absolutely delightful or it might be a giant fail. But that's what makes it fun! Half Acre's contribution is an Extra Dry Hopped Daisy Cutter Pale Ale. That's a mouthful. Anyways, I just hope the rooftop deck is open! Party time!
    • Other top picks: I think our event is *the* top pick that night but being a lover of the liquor, I'd say the Goose island Cocktail Party offers a damn good bang for the buck ($25 ticket).
  • Friday:
    • An evening with Metropolitan at The Bavarian Lodge (1800 Ogden Ave, Lisle), 7pm. We're hitting the road to join our friends at the BL for a night of beer, German food & trivia (with prizes!). Tracy & Doug love this place and it will be my first trip so I'm super psyched. They will have all our beers on tap, including the last of the Generator Doppelbock (my favorite).
    • Other top picks: I don't see anything on the CCBW website that tickles my fancy. Surprising.
  • Saturday:
    • Not our event but our good friends at the Drinking & Writing Brewery bring you the 4th Annual Beerfly Alleyfight at Rock Bottom (Grand/State), 12-4pm. Its the best of all worlds: homebrew paired with homemade food paired with performance art. You have to buy tickets for this one but $30 will get you drunk, stuffed and laughing your ass off.
    • CCBW Closing Party at Half Acre should be loads of fun. This is a ticketed event and includes lots of Illinois Beer and food from Revolution. Nom nom nom!
So that's it. I realize I'm missing stuff from Revolution and Piece so forgive me but they didn't submit any of their events to the CCBW online calender. 'Tis a shame because I'm sure there's lots happening in those tasty brewpubs.

Time for me to sign off and go enjoy some Chicago beer! Probst!

No comments: